Apply for Graduation
The Graduation division of Records is responsible for working with UNT’s Colleges and Schools to verify, approve, and post all student degree awards. In addition, they coordinate UNT’s commencement ceremonies.
All students must apply for graduation. During the semester that you intend to graduate please complete the graduation application by the deadline listed below. Undergraduate applications are available in the Registrar's Office and most Academic Deans' advising offices. The application includes:
Step 1: Complete Degree Application Card
Fill out the degree application card. Any changes to your schedule must be reported to your Academic Dean’s Advising Office.
Step 2: Complete Registrar’s Office Card
Please note that all correspondence and diploma will be mailed to your UNT official mailing address.
Step 3: Order Transcripts
Students in the College of Arts and Sciences, College of Visual Arts and Design, and Frank W. and Sue Mayborn School of Journalism must order and include a complete set of evaluated transcripts from the UNT Registrar’s Office.
Step 4: Complete UNT Graduating Student Survey Online
Graduating Student Survey:
Step 5: Complete UNT Alumni Association GRADitude invitation
Complete your response to the invitation to join the UNT Alumni Association. This is your first opportunity to become a member.
Step 6: Submit Completed Forms to your Academic Dean’s Advising Office
Submit all material indicated above (Steps 1-6) to your Academic Dean’s Advising Office by the graduation deadline (listed below).
Graduation applications for masters and doctoral degrees are processed through The Robert B. Toulouse School of Graduate Studies. For further information regarding Graduate graduation applications and processes call 940-565-2383 or visit tsgs.unt.edu.
Important information concerning minimum degree and graduation requirements
- NO APPLICATION FOR GRADUATION WILL BE ACCEPTED AFTER THE DEADLINE.
- Minimum Degree Requirements: Candidates for graduation must meet all the requirements listed in their undergraduate catalog under “General Degree Requirements” before being eligible for graduation.
- Grade Point Average: You must have a minimum overall grade point average of 2.000 on all course work attempted and a 2.000 on all UNT course work. Higher GPA standards may apply based on degree. If after evaluation of your graduation application your GPA is determined to be below 2.000, your application for graduation will be withdrawn.
- Enrollment at a Second Institution: If you are currently enrolled at another institution, you cannot graduate from UNT this semester.
- Teacher Certification: Application for certification is online only. Your program will have published directions, or you may contact the College of Education, Student Advising Office, Matthews Hall 105, 940-565-2736.
- $1,000 Tuition Rebate: Residents of Texas who have been entitled to pay resident tuition at all times while pursuing their degree and graduate within 3-hours of their minimum degree requirements may be eligible for the $1,000 tuition rebate. To review the full list of rebate eligibility requirements and to apply for the rebate visit the UNT Registrar's Office on the second floor of the ESSC. Applications must be received prior to the end of the semester.
- Graduation with Honors: The grade point average for the establishing of graduation honors is determined by the overall GPA based on grades earned in University of North Texas resident credit courses and transferred resident credit courses. Please review the “Graduation with Honors” section of the undergraduate catalog for specifics on GPA minimum requirements. Students seeking a second bachelor’s degree are not eligible for graduation with honors.
Withhold Directory Information:
If you have previously requested that the Registrar’s Office “Withhold Directory Information” concerning your academic records we will not be able to verify your degree to potential employers. Please contact the Registrar’s Office if you no longer want directory information withheld.
Graduation Application Deadlines
Fall Commencement 2014
Graduate: December 12, 2014
3 p.m. - Doctoral and Master's Commencement Ceremony
4 p.m. - 6 p.m. - Commencement Reception for all Graduates and Guests
Undergraduate: December 13, 2014
9 a.m. - Undergraduate Commencement Ceremony
1 p.m. - Undergraduate Commencement Ceremony
5 p.m. - Undergraduate Commencement Ceremony
10:30 a.m. - 5 p.m. - Commencement Reception for all Graduates and Guests
Graduate: October 3, 2014
Undergraduate: September 16, 2014
For more information, contact the Registrar's Information Counter by calling 940-565-2111 or visiting Eagle Student Services Center (ESSC) Room 147.
For more information about applying for graduation. please see the Academics section of the UNT Catalog.