Student Basing Residency on Spouse

The residency of a student can be based on his/her spouse provided the following circumstances are meet.

  • The student must be a U.S. Citizen or hold a Visa that is eligible to domicile in the United States.
  • The spouse must show proof of domicile in Texas for the previous 12 months, and
  • The spouse must show proof of gainful employment in Texas for the previous 12 months. Gainful employment is defined as employment that is sufficient to provide at least one-half of the individual's tuition and living expenses or represents an average of at least 20 hours per week. Employment with the university in any of our student-based positions does not count towards gainful employment. These positions include receipt of stipends, work study, fellowships, and research or teaching assistantships. or 
  • Hold the title to real property (home, land) in Texas, or
  • Own a business in Texas, or 
  • Hold a state or local license to conduct business or practice a profession in Texas.
  • A copy of marriage license must be provided.

The student will be required to complete a set of Core Residency Questions and provide supporting documentation (see below). For additional types of documentation to support domicile, please see Part B in the Documentation to Support Domicile and Residency PDF below.

Suggested Supporting Documents for Student Basing Residency on Spouse

Please note that the above are some suggested documents and is not intended to be an exhaustive list.  Additional documentation may be required to complete proof of residency.

  • Marriage license
  • Apartment lease
  • Paystubs from previous 12 months indicating at least one half of individual’s tuition and fees or an average of at least 20 hours per week
  • Title/Deed of real property acquisition
  • Business license or proof of business ownership
  • License to conduct business or practice a profession in Texas

For more information, please contact a Residency Counselor in the Registrar’s Office, Eagle Student Services Center, Room 209, 940-369-5197, as soon as possible to make certain that you understand the guidelines outlined below or to obtain additional information.

It is the student's responsibility to determine if the above guidelines are in effect when applying for residency. In-state reclassification is not granted on a retroactive basis.