Update Your Personal Information
A student can change personal information relevant to his or her permanent record in the Records area of the Registrar's Office. Identification is required for all changes, and legal documentation is required in some cases.
Change Your Address
It is the responsibility of the student to provide correct permanent and present mailing address information at all times and on all documents at the university. Failure to do so constitutes falsification of information, a breach of the Student Code of Conduct. Any student who changes his or her mailing address must notify the Registrar's Office immediately.
You may change your address with the Registrar's Office in one of the following ways:
- Go to the Registrar's Office, Eagle Student Services Center, room 147, or
- Call 940-565-2111 and be prepared to give your name and student ID number, or
- Use MyUNT at my.unt.edu to verify your current address information and to submit a change of address. For step-by-step help with MyUNT, see My Help for Students.
Please remember that apartment addresses must include apartment numbers. Students living in dormitories must provide UNT box numbers.
Change Your Name
UNT will use your primary (legal) name for your transcript, student ID card, on class rosters, photo rosters, final grade rosters, Blackboard, and on some pages in the my.unt Student Center. To update any part of your primary name, you must present the Registrar’s Office with 2 forms of legal documentation substantiating the name change. Accepted legal documentation varies based on the reason for the change, but can include a government issued photo ID card, social security card, marriage certificate or divorce decree. Change or Correct Records forms are available in the Registrar’s Office and may be submitted in the following ways:
- Submit appropriate documentation* in person to the Registrar’s Office, Eagle Student Services Center, room 147, or
- Email to firstname.lastname@example.org, along with a notarized copy of one of the above accepted legal documents**, or
- Fax to 940-565-3878, along with a notarized copy of one of the above accepted legal documents**.
*The Records department must make copies of the original legal documents before submitting the official change to the University.
**The notary must certify that the documents are true, exact, complete and unaltered copies of the original legal documents.
Your preferred name will be displayed to you on all pages of the my.unt Student Center except the following locations: phone number, Eagle alert, my financial aid, the advising sheet, holds, and the 1098-T. You may change your preferred first or middle name as long as the use of this different name is not for the purpose of misrepresentation.Preferred Name Change Request forms are available in the Registrar’s Office and may be submitted in the following ways:
- In person to the Registrar’s Office, Eagle Student Services Center, room 147, or
- Email to email@example.com, along with a copy of a government issued photo ID confirming you are the student to whom the records belong, or
- Fax to 940-565-3878, along with a copy of a government issued photo ID confirming you are the student to whom the records belong.
Note: You will not be asked for a reason when requesting a change to your preferred name.
Change Your Social Security Number or Student Identification Number
Most students are identified with their social security number. If a change of social security number is required the student will have to show a photo id and the original social security card with the correct number on it.
For more information, contact the Registrar's Information Counter by calling 940-565-2111 or visiting Eagle Student Services Center (ESSC) Room 147.
Access to your personal information is governed by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). Read more about FERPA.